Thursday, March 7, 2013

50 shades of grey (less 48... and one of them's actually black)

It's cold, cold sucks. Cold sucks in general, but cold really sucks for painting. So this is my wifes little bathroom heater drafted into block heater duty. There's nothing wrong with rattle can paint if you can apply it right. It's thin which isn't a problem as long as you can put enough coats on. You can't catalyze it but you can cure it in other ways if it's formulated to do so. This VHT is supposed to be cured in an oven at 200 degrees for an hour.
One thing that you don't want to do though is paint with cold paint, or paint a cold surface, it inhibits curing, adhesion, and pretty much everything that you don't want inhibited. That's why I'm heating everything up.

Most of the parts that I painted got sandblasted, but these lower cases I wanted to keep out of the blast cabinet because I was afraid that I'd never get all the sand out. Instead I used a lot of q-tips, paper towels, rags, solvent, carb cleaner, and patience.



1 comment: